If you’re one of the 7.8 million Americans currently out of work, you’re probably dreading the inevitable question of how the job search is going at Thanksgiving. So we’ve put together a few things you can say in response and provide solutions you may not have realized are out there.
- I’m looking into the opportunity to do a service year doing something I’m passionate about to help me develop skills that can be applied to future employment. And the cool thing about it is that I get paid to do it, and I get to help our community at the same time.
- I’m looking at some online programs that can help me identify the skills I have and where they can be applied today, and what areas I need up-skilling to pursue the kind of job I want to get.
- I know that areas where there are the biggest need and have the biggest opportunities for growth are in computer-science-related jobs and healthcare, so I am looking into education opportunities that provide incentives for learning, such as free schooling, on-the-job training, and job placement upon graduation.
- I’m working with organizations who are helping me build my resume, hone my interviewing practices, and find the job that’s perfect for me.
- Right now, I’m working a gig job until I can find something full time.